Monday, June 22, 2009

unpack



This gentleman is Alfred E. Smith, also known as Al Smith, the governor of New York and candidate for president in 1928. He was the first Catholic to run for that esteemed office. One of the bricks tossed his way was that, if elected, he would be taking his orders from the Pope. Heaven for fend! When he was defeated by Herbert Hoover, the apocryphal story was that he sent a telegram to the Pope saying, "Unpack!"

So it is with us. I spoke with Caitlin yesterday morning. All flights from Sacramento to Salt Lake City were full. The flights from SLC to Bozeman weren't much better. On her advice we have postponed our trip until Tuesday. Flight availability looks better. I should explain that we fly stand-by since she is a Delta employee and we get "non-rev" status; we don't pay. I firmly believe that every family needs at least four children: the lawyer, the doctor, the priest, and the airline employee.

3 comments:

mary ann said...

You are pre-supposing that all 4 children will adore you, but the odds of that are probably not exactly 100%, in my humble opinion only, of course. I'll need lots of Ike photos!

The Fevered Brain said...

I don't really care if they adore me. I just want them to defend me, prescribe drugs, forgive my sins, and fly me down to Rio. Now is that too much for a mother to ask?

DAK said...

Ah, THERE you are! I hadn't read the last Tonsil War close enough to see you still exist, only elsewhere. EX-cellent! And only now do I find out why the tonsil war was called the tonsil war, though it seems to me it was really La Aventura Mejicana.