Tuesday, June 9, 2009

your inner fish




I am not a biologist, paleontologist, or any other kind of "ologist." But I loved this book. It is a fabulous guided tour through "the 3.5-billion-year history of the human body." The author, Neil Shubin, writes in readable, understandable, non-technical language. It's funny, quirky, and utterly fascinating.

On the political front, the President has seen fit not to challenge the "don't ask, don't tell" policy in the military. One of his campaign themes was his "fierce advocacy" of the rights of gays to serve their country. What happened here, Mr. President?

3 comments:

Infield Single said...

I'll take a look for the Inner Fish at the library. Hadn't heard about the gays in the military thing; must check the Times.

On another, technical note, I'm finding this blog much harder to read than the previous one, as the font size is quite small, and I have to manually bump it up every time. Is this something you chose, or is it a peculiarity of my Mac?

The Fevered Brain said...

No, it's a function of this particular layout. I sort of liked the smaller type, but ever mindful of my readers, I will make it larger.

mary ann said...

The country is gradually accepting gays and even The Dick (Cheney) is in favor of equality in marriage for everyone. Obama will have to step up to the plate on the "don't ask" policy, he is getting a lot of pressure, as well he should.