Monday, November 2, 2009

afternoon encounter




After I did my chores, fetched the mail, paid some bills and generally made myself useful ~ or as useful as possible while clomping around in this wretched boot ~ I settled down to watch David Lean's 1945 version of Brief Encounter. Trevor Howard and Celia Johnson as the doomed lovers Alec and Laura. Only one Kleenex®. I've seen this before although not with this cast. The sad, secretive and painful affair between the rather stuffy middle class couple is contrasted brilliantly with the open, lively, sexually charged banter between Myrtle and Albert, the canteen owner and the railroad man. Terrific performances all around.

Tomorrow I tackle the DMV to get my new driver's license. This year I have to take the written test, probably the first time in 25 years. I've read the Driver Handbook, taken all of the practice tests and think I can probably pass on the first try. Then I have to start negotiating to take the driving test before we leave. My license expires on my birthday in April and I will be in Mexico. Yes, I know, I just did this in June, but my license is only good for one year because of the vision thing, even though the DMV handbook itself says you only need to be able to pass the eye test with ONE EYE. I need to "see" about that requirement.

No comments: