Monday, June 14, 2010

lonesome cowgirl




I can remember the day this photo was taken on the lawn of our family home in Los Angeles. A man came through the neighborhood leading this little pony, offering to take photos of all the kids. I can only imagine his arduous days, going from neighborhood to neighborhood pulling his little horse along with him, knocking on doors, trying to talk post-WW II penny-pinching mothers (the dads were all at work, including mine) into spending perhaps $5 to have a picture taken. Just trying to make a living, that's all. It was hot ~ notice the halter top ~ and grueling work, although we lived in a very pleasant, shady and quiet area off Melrose Avenue. It wasn't MELROSE AVENUE in those days, just an area with small bungalows with lawns and flower gardens and single-car garages. The photographer's kit was complete with the costume parts; chaps, a sombrero and a bandana. I really, really wanted my picture taken on the back of that sweet little horse. There's a bit of a furrow on my brow so I must have been somewhat apprehensive about the whole enterprise. Notice the no-nonsense cowgirl pigtails. I think I was about 8 or 9 when this picture was taken. My next door neighbor, Jane Stetson also had her picture taken. Ellen Jebejian did, too. Our street had lots of kids. That photographer probably made a week's worth of income in that one place.

4 comments:

ddmichel said...

Adorable

mary ann said...

Love this photo and true story...

DAK said...

Got one, probably of the same pony, and our son Dan riding him, that was taken in Glendale. They are priceless photos.

Alex said...

Mom this is the same face you present to the camera- brow a bit furrowed, not 100% certain about this picture taking enterprise...