Wednesday, June 16, 2010

naked rooms




We are having the carpets cleaned today. That meant moving all the furniture out of the three carpeted rooms (living room, two bedrooms ~ other floors all blessedly tiled!) so Bob the Carpet Cleaner could work his magic. The only thing we didn't move out of our bedroom is our bed; it's just too heavy, so he'll have to work around it.


We were chatting before he launched into his task and he asked how we kept our almost-white carpet so clean in between shampoos. Frequent vacuuming, we said. He told us he has clients who don't vacuum at all between his cleaning visits, sometimes a year. Yikes! Mr. C is a fanatic about vacuuming. How lucky I am! Fortunately it is warm and breezy here in the valley today so if we leave all the doors and windows open things should be all dry by late this afternoon and we can drag all the furniture back into the house or, as in the living room, slide it all off the tiled portion of the floor onto the carpet and get things back where they belong. The next house project is going to be repainting the guest bedroom. It's too dark in there, so I thought a nice coat of cream color paint might do the trick.

In the meantime, I will drive up to Sact'o to pick up the LapMac from the shop where it has gone for its annual post-tropics cleaning. There was no problem, but after five months in the damp and dust and salt, a thorough exam is in order so nothing gets clogged up. The tech who called yesterday said he found nothing, for which I am thankful.

Tomorrow I am flying down to San Diego for a weekend with boarding school gal pals in La Jolla. First stop will be at St. Paul's Cathedral to say hello to my sister whose ashes are immured there. Then on to La Jolla where the dance card is looking mighty full; dinner party tomorrow evening, lunch at the La Valencia on Friday, possible visit with former headmistress who, at a remarkable 99 years young, is as sprightly as ever. Rumors are there is something going on Friday at the Beach and Tennis Club. Saturday evening I am having dinner with brother-in-law Tom. I haven't seen him since my sister's memorial in October, although we keep in touch often by phone and email. I am very much looking forward to a visit with him. In between all of that socializing I am hoping to spend some time with my hostess and her two lively dogs at her absolutely charming home. Perhaps a couple of beach walks, too. I'll be home on Sunday.

1 comment:

mary ann said...

Have a great time ~ you do live a busy (and wonderful) life.