Another gripping tale of life at the beach.
At about 1:30 AM Mr. C got up and walked out onto the upstairs terrazzo. What caught his eye was a flickering glow coming from the housing for the hot water heater. He opened the little door and there were flames shooting up the side of the house wall. Always thinking fast, he first tried to smother the flames with . . .flour. That didn't work so he raced downstairs and turned off the main gas valve. When he got back, following in his flour-y footsteps, the fire was out. There was apparently a leak between the hose and the regulator. I slept on soundly. I knew nothing until about 7 AM this morning when he said, "Come and get a cup of coffee and I'll tell you something to shock and amaze." I must have looked stricken, because he added, "Nobody died."
|This is the hot water heater (el boiler) in its little closet|
|Here are the controls, covered in baked-on flour|
Never a dull moment . . .
Alex takes off for home this afternoon after 10 days of R & R, along with some dominoes, beach walks, good reads. Kids went back last Sunday. We head home two weeks from today. Much to soon.