Sunday, January 31, 2010

the weekend in Tlaquepaque



Our getaway weekend has been quiet and subdued after we got the news about Cait and Mike's dog, Ike. Everything we do is layered over with the sadness of their (and our) loss. That dog had more personality than many of our friends. Truly.

Our drive up was completely uneventful, fortunately. After we unloaded and got settled into our beautiful room we went for a late comida at a restaurant new to us, El Fuerte. It's only drawback was the combo playing VERY LOUD music. Otherwise, good food (wonderful fajitas de res) and a lovely garden setting. I didn't have my camera so you'll just have to trust me.

Friday was our 46th wedding anniversary. Who would believe it? As Mr. C said, "If somebody had told me 46 years ago that I would be having lunch in Tlaquepaque, Mexico I would not have imagined such a thing." Oh well. . . We went back to Nahual (see here for a description of the restaurant) and this time sat in the garden area of the restaurant. Out the window I could see the brightly colored glass lamps they have scattered alongside the windows. They are Dale Chihuley wannabes! These flower-like lamps are made in a glass blowing factory up in Tonala (where we will go on Sunday for the market).


It isn't quite a "real" Chihuly (see below)


but what do you want for about $200?

Delicious lunch; Tampequeña de res which is sort of like a grilled strip steak. We don't get really edible beef at the beach so I am using this trip to make up for lost protein!

Saturday was another very lazy day. I had not slept well on Friday night; we went downstairs in the evening and had a very sweet dessert and I was totally wired until about 2:30 AM. I should definitely know better but, hey! I'm having a vacation and Stan (proprietor) is a fantastic cook. After a long late-morning-early-afternoon nap, we strolled down to El Tacote, a very nice casual place we went to some years ago.


It is know for, among other things, its block-buster guacamole. Its fame is well deserved. Again, beef, this time quesedillas with adobado beef, cheese, onions, radishes, lime juice and more avocado as condiments. Three of these little beauties and I was down for the count. Home by 5 PM, asleep not long after.

We had very cloudy skies and sprinkles last evening but it dawned bright and sunny this morning. We were up and out early for a trip to Tonala. We took the bus, were there by 10 AM, got our purchases taken care of and caught a cab back at 11:00. That's Mr. C's idea of shopping - in and out. I could still be there . . . I was mostly looking for two things: barra, the clay cookware that is such a pleasure to use, and more hurricane lamp chimneys that I use outside.

Barra comes in all shapes and sizes, and includes plates and bowls for table use. Also coffee cups and big hot chocolate mugs. They are all tied together on a string and when you buy one the vendor just snips one off the line and away you go.

I use the big ones as vases; just put the bottom half of a tall plastic water bottle inside, fill with water, stick in flowers. No leaks, either.

I was hungering for either a salad or a big pile of veggies for lunch so we walked down to the San Juan del Rio, a nice place that offers vegetarian fare.

There is a lovely garden in the middle with this delightful fountain niche with St. Francis.

Indeed, I had a plate of roasted vegetables ~ broccoli, peas, carrots, peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, squash ~ all in slivers. Absolutely delicious. Mr. C has a big green salad with mushrooms, goat cheese, various vegetables. Just what we both needed after all this meat business. Tonight we will probably go across the street for soup at Victoria's, the local ceneduria.

Tomorrow it's back to the beach and the warm weather. I did stick a sweater in my bag at the last minute, but Mr. C came away with short sleeves only! Right now, as I look out the window, the sky is darkening and the wind has picked up. The forecast is for more rain. But that's what keeps everything so green and lovely. We'll be back next year, all things being equal, to do it all over again.

1 comment:

mary ann said...

Happy anniversary! You know I love those patio photos ~ so simple, serene and special. They know how to do it right.