Tuesday, April 27, 2010

random words and pictures




With only one week to go we are now ratcheting up the frenzy mode. Consequently, I am looking for some serenity. The above photo was taken up in Patzcuaro at Lago de Zirahuan, a beautiful, pastoral little village up in the mountains. I had seen an article about this remote place and we drove up there during our stay in Patz in March. The lake is the most amazing crystal clear blue, like Tahoe was 30+ years ago.

Our delightful guests left this morning. They had been here for several days (one here a week; one only 5 days). They were heading off for another couple of days in Manzanillo. We had a trip to Colima to visit a couple of museums, dinner at Dago's, a lovely dinner in Manzanillo on Saturday evening at Toscana"s (sorry there is no photo but I left my camera home). This place is located right on the water. Splendid setting, excellent service, wonderful menu. I had sea bass in sauce dieppoise (a wine sauce with shrimp and mussels). Not home cooking. They went off to Colima again on Sunday to investigate the volcano. Sent this photo via iPhone showing the snowy side of one of the two volcanoes.


Monday it was tiangues where I made another wonderful purchase; a red/white striped T-Shirt for 10 pesos (80¢). The guests took off for the afternoon to explore some surrounding countryside while we began getting out boxes and packing materials to stow all our treasures until next year. And their departure this morning signaled "full speed ahead" on that endeavor. Laundry, more laundry, packing away bedding and towels, dismantling lights, taking down decorations, putting aside "take home" from "leave here." I've separated my beach clothes ~ shorts and T-shirts ~ that get stored, started packing my travel bag that gets tossed into the car. I've read all the travel warnings put out by the State Department and by the various US consulates along the route . . . if we make it home alive it will be nothing short of a miracle.

We have a couple of social occasions left before leaving; dominoes tomorrow evening for me, dinner with Chuy and Fernando and other friends on Thursday, Dago's on Friday, the opera (Armida with Renée Flemming) on Saturday. She sings the part of a witch, somewhat of a departure from her usual "heroine" roles. It will be gorgeous, I'm sure.

Tomorrow it's in to Tecoman to do some banking, to get enough pesos to get us out of the country now and then back in December, a hair-cut for 50 pesos so I don't have to pay 50 dollars when I get home, a final pass at the Bodega supermercado to feed us for this final week. Then more packing, stowing, folding, boxing-up. There must be an easier way.

No comments: