Friday, May 21, 2010

a weekend at the beach



You may have thought ~ correctly ~ that we had just left the beach. But that was a different beach. Tomorrow we are driving over to Inverness to spend the day with wonderful friends who are on the west coast from DC. This couple was part of the merry pranksters who sailed from St. Lucia to Grenada in 1989. They are great fans of "exchange your house" and have taken a place in Carmel for a couple of months while those owners are hanging out in their condo on the banks of the Potomac. They decided to drive up to Inverness for the weekend. We will drive over tomorrow, spend the night, get caught up on everyone's news, eat and drink whatever goodies we can find, and then drive home on Sunday. One thing we will definitely do, weather permitting, is take a long walk on the beach. The last beach the four of us walked was, I think, in Canouan in the Grenadines.

I had a "Dorothy" moment yesterday. She and I drove up to the Post Office to pick up mail. I got out of the car and was approached by a delightful elderly woman making her way slowly across the parking lot with the help of a cane. "That is the cutest car I've ever seen," she said. "If I were still able to drive and were a youngster like you I would drive a car like that!" Then she tottered back to her car, driven by someone else, got in and left the lot. It made me think seriously about my "youngster" status.

2 comments:

DAK said...

Yeah, but wouldn't you rather be back in the Caribbean, pulling into Bequia for a drink?

mary ann said...

Love the Dorothy story!