Thursday, September 16, 2010

the fifth child




Some of you may know my reasoning behind the idea of having four children: a divine of some ilk ~ priest, rabbi, pastor ~ to look after your soul; a doctor to look after your body; a lawyer to look after your interests; an airlines employee so you can get out of town free. All your life's needs are thus covered. I have decided we all need a fifth; one who works in a book store. Why? Just look at the Mother Lode that landed in my mailbox yesterday, compliments of my darling niece who is the Children and Young Adults manager and buyer for R.J. Julia, an indy bookstore in Madison, CT. I hardly know where to begin ~ Richard Russo? Elizabeth Rossner? Isabel Allende? Sarah Gruen? Oscar Hijuelos (I loved "Mambo Kings")?

No, I think I'll start with "Claude & Camille" by Stephanie Cowell, a novel about Monet and his wife, Camille Doncieux (think Susan Vreeland and Tracy Chevalier). Two reasons: I'm about to go to Paris where I will definitely make a pilgrimage to Giverney and see the Monet show at the Grand Palais. Already bought my ticket; 1:30 PM on October 6. Two hundred pieces, some rarely if ever shown. I realize that tout le monde will be there and it will hot and stuffy and jammed, but we'll all be there for the same reason; to be awed by such genius. As for Giverney, this is not the ideal time to go; the gardens will be a bit faded, but nothing can spoil the beauty of the house and its situation.

Thank you, dear Kaley, for this wonderful surprise. The readers at the Mexican library will also thank you. I also thank the gods who invented Paris. What a brilliant idea!

Paris weather: 64ยบ and partly cloudy.

1 comment:

mary ann said...

I just heard about "Ape House" and will read it soon. Great books here in this stack! Oct. 6th is almost, almost here ~ how v. exciting.