Monday, September 6, 2010

my memory bank is full



Starting back in Lunenburg . . .

Remember those props I showed you a few days ago? Well, here's the lovely Bel Canto, all propped up and ready, almost, to face the winter.


Here's a close up of the hull and the props.


The only thing left to do is put the cover on her to keep her dry and clean during the coming storms. But Jon has someone else do that.

We drove back to Halifax on Tuesday, spent the night at a hotel near the airport, and flew out Wednesday morning. We made the first leg, Halifax to Detroit, without a problem. Even made first class; thank you, Cait. Detroit to Salt Lake was a full flight but we squeezed into coach and were happy to be there. Salt Lake was another matter. Didn't get onto the 2 PM flight OR the 5 PM flight but did make it onto the 10 PM flight. Eight hours in the SLC airport is not an exciting prospect, believe me. Good people watching, but even that gets boring after awhile. Airport food is terrible and terribly expensive. We got onto the last flight out of SLC to Sacramento, arrived here at 10:45, local time. Our luggage had been waiting for us since the 2 PM flight landed. Went out to the parking lot, couldn't find the car and had to make it speak to us before we located it a few rows away from where we thought it was. Got home after mid-night, and fell into bed. It was a wonderful trip in every way. Really good food, beautiful scenery, fine fellowship. I am exceedingly grateful that I have lived long enough to grow old with these friends.

A new travel opportunity has arisen. I am thinking seriously of going to Paris for 10 days at the end of this month. And Cait may fly over for the weekend while doing something for Delta. Would that be fun or what? I have located an apartment in the 5th, on the edge of the Luxembourg Gardens, 4th floor with an elevator (a requirement at my advanced age; no more 5th floor walk-ups for me!). My usual digs are not available for this particular visit. I haven't been to Paris in five years so it's high time. Mr. C has no interest in going so I'll just have to go it alone. Hélas. . . somehow I'll manage, don't you think?

1 comment:

mary ann said...

Oh, yes, you'll manage JUST fine in Paris. Wonderful ~ do it!