Monday, September 27, 2010

ready and set to go!



I spent hours on the internet today trying to find a hotel room for one night, Wednesday, in Paris. Since I changed my flight plans from departing Wednesday to Tuesday I had no roof over my head. And the apartment was full. I was getting mighty discouraged. I even called the local travel agency for help and they came up empty, too. I was about to bag the whole thing, but kept on clicking away, certain I'd fine something. I guess everyone is there for the opening of the opera and for the big Monet extravaganza. The town is packed. I inquired at more than 25 hotels all over the city. And the prices as posted on hotel sites were appalling; between 300e and 700e a night, and at a wallet-busting rate of exchange, that's a pretty pricey sleep. Even the sites like Expedia and Hotels.com had nothing. I finally landed a room at a place in the 15th, not far from the Eiffel Tower. The room is called a "compact single." That's French for "closet." I'll take pictures.

Cait has been on the Delta flight info for me and she is assuring me I'll make it from here to Atlanta and then on to Paris. Plane leaves at 11:30, has a 2 hr. layover in Atlanta, and leaves for Paris at 10:50. Arrive in Paris Wednesday morning at 11:30 AM. I went to the market to buy my airline food; I don't think I'll make Business, at least not on the Atlanta leg, so I'll have to do it myself. Boiled eggs, finger veggies, cheese, crackers, little Dove candies, a couple of energy bars. I should be all set. Other than that last minute stuff I am all packed with enough room left over for a memento of this trip ~ a little Chanel suit or something . . .

Mr. C came through his surgery just fine. The Valium did it's trick and he floated through most of it. I'm concerned about leaving him in his condition but I'm positive he's just as glad I'll be out of his hair while he recovers.

Now it's time to fix myself a little dinner, do a sweep of the area in case I've left something critical sitting on a table, and go to bed and try to get a good night's sleep. It will be awhile before I'll have another one.

No comments: