Monday, October 4, 2010

rue Cler, etc.



Saturday morning I went to the market on rue Cler. Stopped for the Sat/Sun edition of the IHT. If I buy that it must mean I'm really here. Rue Cler is one of the prettiest markets, very popular, especially with families. It's a pedestrian-only cobbled street with great food shops on either side, three or four restaurants that are always jammed. Great smells, lots of chatter, best people-watching.

I walked across the Champs de Mars, with this on my left

and this vast pile, the École Militaire, on my right. It's somewhat akin to West Point. Napoleon Bonapart studied here.

Through the park, across Avenue Bosquet to Saint Dominique to rue Cler. Along the way I saw several of Dorothy's relatives including this snappy black one,



this little silver number,













a cute cream color one,









and then Dorothy's twin, who got to come and live in Paris instead of the Sacramento Valley. Now that's a Smarty!

As an aside, I also have seen the Toyota version called the IQ Car. I would have waited but was told they wouldn't be in the US until 2012. They're mighty cute, tho.

Here are some of the goodies I saw at the market. First, the fish. And a beautiful one it was.


Or perhaps you prefer oysters? Baskets and baskets of them, all different kinds from different waters.


Beautiful berries


and vegetables.


In a cheese shop I found this rhubarb yogurt in a jar. Turned out to be exquisitely creamy and rich and delicately flavored. My favorite yogurt brand here is Laitiere. It comes in little glass jars which I then use as juice and wine glasses. Found some of it, too. Bonanza!


Yes, everybody shops the rue Cler!

With my few goodies I walked back to the apartment. Along the way I saw this delightful alternate mode of transport comeing down the street.

Got home, unloaded, then went down the street to the Brasserie Suffren for a late lunch of my favorite French meal, Poulet Frites. And very nicely done, I must say.


The chicken was moist and tender, the sauce redolent of herbs and garlic, the frites delicious and soft enough inside to sop up the extra sauce. I'll definitely go there again and when I do I'll tell you all about it.

2 comments:

Alexandra said...

Thank you for sharing-I am in Paris by proxy! A poor imitation but I'll take it! Merci!

<3 Alex

mary ann said...

Stupendous reporting, you are an inspiration!