Sunday, September 18, 2011

down and out, but not for long


Yesterday morning I asked Mr. C if he would do the post office run so I could keep on with the housecleaning. He agreed, and as I was getting a stamp to put on a letter I heard a loud thud. I turned around and he was flat on his back, arms outstretched, out cold. Yikes! With the self-stick stamp still on my finger, I ran into the room, got down on my knees and called his name several times. He was ashen-faced and absoutely still. He finally opened his eyes and looked at me as if he'd never seen me before. But after about 10 seconds he said, "What happened?" "You fainted!" We decided he got up too fast and all the blood drained out of his brain. And for those of you who know him, he has a very busy brain and it needs LOTS of blood. Needless to say he did not go to the PO. Instead, he lay down for awhile but soon felt ok. Not low blood pressure; just blood pooling. Very dramatic! It happened again this morning without the fall. He got up too fast and felt woozy. Easy does it is the new mantra around here.

As for the visit with Patty, it was splendid. We drove to St. Helena; we took the Silverado Trail instead of the straight shot of 121 to 24 to Tra Vigne. She grew up in Napa so knows all the byways. Gorgeous drive. After lunch we drove to Sonoma so she could take care of some long-overdue banking business. Then back here for another fine dinner and more talk. Friday morning she was off to visit more friends in Placerville. I am hoping we'll get to see her once more during her 2-week California tour. She and I have known each other for over 50 years. Old friends are the very best, the treasures of our lives.