Sunday, August 23, 2009

The remarkable "Cats"


Tonight's trip to the theater brought to life the astounding gymnastics of "Cats" from the Sacramento Music Circus. Music by Andrew Lloyd Weber, lyrics by T.S. Eliot. This energetic musical is almost 30 years old. Even so, I had never see it or heard the entire libretto. Nor, I confess, have I read "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats." As soon as our library reopens in mid-September I will get it.

The momentous occasion for this outing was a group birthday celebration; mine plus three friends whose milestones occur while I am away. First we went to dinner; I had a divine seafood risotto, with enough left over for tomorrow's supper. Then it was off to be transported to the Jellicle junkyard by an astonishing group of singers and dancers who made all the sundry "Cats" real for a night.

I marveled at the skill and endurance of the dancers. I can remember back in my dancing days ~ I quit completely when I was about 30 ~ coming home after class, hoping I would be hit by a bus so I wouldn't have to go again, although I loved it with a real fire when I was doing it. I can only imagine the exhaustion and aches this wonderful troupe must experience after 2 or 3 weeks of perpetual motion.

1 comment:

mary ann said...

We saw this in London many years ago and loved it. I have the book and drag it out every couple of years. Nice review here!