Friday, September 11, 2009

the been-gone-too-long Episcopalian

I have spent several hours in the library at St. Martin's Episcopal Church over the past few days researching readings, lessons, hymns, psalms, etc. for Vic's memorial. I pride myself on knowing most of the hymns from the 1940 hymnal, but nobody uses that any more. They now have this new-fangled hymn book with unsingable lyrics and strange words. I have searched carefully for any old familiars, found a couple and may go with those. Why they messed with the tried and true I'll never understand. Old fogey? Who? Me? It is all starting to fall into place, however. I've narrowed the choices, thought carefully about how these words would reflect on the life of a beloved sister, and most importantly, hope she wouldn't remark, from wherever she is, "What in the world was she thinking when she chose that?"


On Wednesday, this beautiful bouquet of freesias arrived. The box was addressed to me but there was no card so I have no idea whom to thank. They came via FedEx but before I could get any tracking number, Mr. C. had carefully deposited the box in the trash seconds before the big truck arrived to cart it all away. They are so lovely and their arrival was so unexpected. Thank you, Mystery Gifter.

I treated myself to a facial yesterday, a fine thing to do for oneself. Get rid of the puffy eyes. Then another swell dinner with Ali (with a new, sensational short hair-cut) and Babz. Mussels in cream and a glass of luscious dry Spanish white. Good talking, too.

The Mac Tsar comes to my house this afternoon to install the new Snow Leopard OS system on the two computers. All chatter about it extols its virtues, among which is speed. Look, this whole computer thing brings information (and disinformation) into my life faster than I can handle it now. Why do I need faster? And is faster always better? He is also going to do a general tune-up too, to straighten out any kinks in the system that come from simple usage. Smoother and faster. We'll see.

2 comments:

mary ann said...

When is the Memorial?

The Fevered Brain said...

Friday, October 9, 4 PM, St. Paul's Cathedral, San Diego. No flowers, please. Contribute to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation instead (www.jdrf.org).