Monday, September 7, 2009

one week gone

I am back home after my few days in San Diego. Most of the heavy lifting is over; small- to medium-sized details have been left hanging. Industry keeps grief at bay. But there's time. I still can't quite get it that my sister is gone.

On Friday I went to La Jolla to have lunch with one of my dearest friends. On her table was a copy of Christopher Buckley's latest book, "Losing Mum and Pup". I borrowed it and started reading it on the plane home. I happened on this book at just the right time. It is a loving, funny, irreverent reflection on his very famous and difficult parents (and some of their very famous friends). Although my sister was not famous or particularly difficult (as sisters go), it is Buckley's colorful memories of life with his glamorous parents that stir my imagination. Through all this heavy business of taking care of things, funny incidents will flash through my mind and make me chuckle. These are the memories that will keep me going for the next few weeks. Or months. Or years.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Susan,

You have my condolences of the passing of your sister. I have been thinking a lot about you and Jim. I just got to read some of your blog entries, and it is comforting to read your writings. God bless.

Effie