Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I made it myself




Last night I entertained two friends at dinner. For this occasion I pulled out all the stops and made a vegetable tian. I came across a recipe for this traditional Provençal dish but the photo I saw didn't look like the tian I was familiar with. I repaired to good old Google and there it was in all it's colorful, intricate glory. It takes awhile to prepare but is well worth the effort. What follows is the recipe I cobbled together. It was delicious.

Vegetable Tian
 1 Japanese eggplant, sliced thin
1 large zucchini, sliced thin
1 large yellow squash, sliced thin
1 large Yukon Gold potato, peeled and sliced thin
2 Roma tomatoes, sliced thin
1 small leek, white portion sliced thin
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red pepper, cut into rings, each ring cut into 4 pieces
3 T olive oil
2 t dried thyme
salt and pepper
1/2 c shredded Parmesan or Peccorino cheese

Heat oven to 375º.
Saute leeks and onion in 1 T olive oil over low heat until wilted, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and saute another minute. Drizzle 1 T olive oil in bottom of 9" round ovenproof dish (I used a ceramic quiche pan). Sprinkle cooked onion mixture on bottom of pan. Add uncooked, sliced vegetables, standing on edge in two spiral rows, alternating vegetables to make a colorful mix.  Sprinkle with herbs, salt and pepper, and drizzle with remaining olive oil.  Cover tightly with foil and bake for 35 minutes.  Remove from oven and discard foil covering.  Sprinkle tian with shredded cheese and return to the oven uncovered for an additional 30 minutes.

COOK'S NOTE:  When I thought it was done I tested the potatoes; not quite done so I left it in the oven with the heat turned off, for an additional 10 minutes.  Perfect.

It was absolutely delicious.  Not a bite was left in the pan!

2 comments:

mary ann said...

wow ~ all Cuisinart® I presume?

The Fevered Brain said...

Not on your life! Every single slice done by hand. The food processor makes the slices too thin.