Monday, July 13, 2009

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury




I reported to the court house this morning, hoping it would be only a walk-on. After 1 1/2 hours the judge came into the jury room to say that the case for which my group had been called had settled and we would not be needed. For that trial. Instead, he had another trial on tap and my jury pool would be used. We were dismissed and told to come back at 2:00 PM.

I tore home to watch what was left of the first day of hearings for Sotomayor. I got to hear her deliver her opening remarks; what an accent! Brooklynese at its best. Earlier in the morning on the radio I heard a bit of Jeff Sessions ~ what a fine Southern gentleman he is! He, himself, couldn't get confirmed to the federal bench by his own Republican party because of his extreme racist positions ~ and that Arizona intellectual heavy-weight John Kyl.

Back to court at 2 PM for another attempt to dodge the wand. Despite playing my trump card ~ "He's a retired lawyer in the Public Defender's Office" ~ neither the Public Defender nor the District Attorney saw fit to send me on my way and I got tapped. I am now seated on a jury for what has been described by the judge as a "2-day" trial. Details when it's all over.

It's hotting up at last, here in the valley. Expected to be 103ยบ by Wednesday.

1 comment:

Pica said...

Oh gosh, hope it really is only 2 days... good luck!