Wednesday, July 8, 2009

the lunch wagon


On the back road to Woodland there is an auto junk yard. Parked on its lot is this Mexican taco wagon that serves up delicious food for a ridiculous price. I stopped there this morning on my way home from doing errands and bought for lunch 2 tacos de lengua (my favorite), 1 taco de pollo and 1 taco de asada. That will be $4, please. The lengua was wonderful; tender and tasty. The asada was way too salty and tough. The pollo tough and dry but not too salty. A big helping of salsa casera saved it. They also sell al pastor, a spicy pork concoction, and real goat birria. I am going to try those two next time. This is the only taco wagon I've see in these parts, which is surprising given the big Mexican population around here. There may be others hiding about but I have yet to find one. This family also has a sit-down restaurant in Woodland called El Michoacan. They are not from there; they are actually from Tepic, in the state of Nayarit. Tepic is one of our usual stopping spots on the way home. One of these days we'll have to actually go into the city; we buzz by on the outskirts, spend the night at La Paloma, and go on our way.

Our mild, lovely summer weather continues. Usually we are battling to keep cool in 99ยบ heat. Not so far this year. Sunny during the day, cool mornings and evenings. Great for the garden. Not so great for heating up the pool for swimming. It will end soon, however, so we are enjoying it while it lasts.

2 comments:

DAK said...

Ooooh, don't get me started on taco trucks. I love 'em, but almost always order pastor or carne asada or birria when they have it. I think those 4 tacos would cost us $5-6 here.

What I remember about Tepic, lo these many years, is chicken soup that was a chicken in a bowl with a little broth poured over it. And great tortillas.

Infield Single said...

The June 3 edition of the Davis Enterprise featured local taco trucks. I don't still have my copy, but you can take a look at it at the library. I say, let's do lunch!