Thursday, October 15, 2009

change of plans




I had been planning for more than 6 months to fly off to Dallas tomorrow morning for the weekend. The purpose was a mini-reunion of my boarding school classmates. Instead, I will be driving up to Sacramento to be fitted for a splint on my left big toe that has sustained a fracture! I slipped on some stairs while in San Diego, slid down to the bottom and landed with my left foot under me. To quote the doc: "I've looked at the X-rays and indeed you have fractured the toe, and quite a nice one at that (the fracture, not the toe). I see that you are going to Dallas soon. I will order a splint for you to wear. It needs to be more than just the surgical shoe to properly immobilize the toe." He goes on to say that swelling during flight could be a problem. At that point I decided the trip was definitely a no-go. No gallivanting for this girl grad. Instead, bed rest, elevated foot, ice pack, splint, reading, napping, etc., all for about 5 weeks! Nowhere near as much fun as they are going to have in Big D. But I am so neurotic about damaging my feet that I will do anything the doctor says. The next trip, by air, was to be to see Cait and Mike in Bozeman at the end of the month. We'll see how it is in 2 weeks.

No comments: