Sunday, October 25, 2009

the invalid's amusement


As you can see I got back most of the settings of my old blog layout. I still have no idea what happened. But after a total of 3 hours and the use of some words I had vowed never to use again I am back in a familiar format.

As I lay on my bed concentrating on making my toe fracture knit, I have been listening to "The Mexican Tree Duck" by James Crumley. I got this book from the Library of Congress service I belong to. It's being read by an absolute genius of vocal characterization named Jim Zeiger. He sounds like Roy Blount, Jr., an author I could listen to as long as he is willing to talk. (I love listening to his story-telling on "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" on NPR.) Anyway, this is a very, very funny book and I'm sure all this laughter is helping my toe to heal. Our hero, a private eye fueled by booze, cocaine and a wild imagination is reminiscent of Duke in Doonsbury, only more outrageous.

Meanwhile, time is passing quickly and I am falling further and further behind in my departure preparations. We leave here in five weeks and all I've managed to do so far is pile up stuff I've pulled out of cabinets and shelves in the bathroom so our tenants will have room for their stuff. All those toothpaste tubes go with us; can't find our favorite brand in Mexico. Then there are the bags of pills, insulin pump supplies, bandages, all things I can't get there so have to bring with me. I did manage to completely empty one side of the cabinet even if now I don't know what to do with it all.

2 comments:

mary ann said...

Good job, FB. There is something rewarding about computer repair, after all the anguish, of course. Love the new photo of you!

Pica said...

Yes, it's a great photo. Hugs.