Thursday, November 1, 2012

November



I get this poem out once a year and pass it on for your enjoyment. It's one of my favorites. As I look out the window in my office I see grey skies, trees and vines shedding their leaves. I'm wearing cords, a sweater and a jacket. The heat is on in the house and we'll have a nice fire in the fireplace tonight (unless it is a NO BURN day, a new nanny-state prohibition inaugurated today by our fair City Council).

November

 by Thomas Hood

 No sun--no moon! No morn--no noon! 
No dawn--no dusk--no proper time of day-- 
No sky--no earthly view--
No distance looking blue-- 
No road--no street--
No "t'other side the way"-- 
No end to any Row--
No indications where the Crescents go-- 
 No top to any steeple--
No recognitions of familiar people-- 
No courtesies for showing 'em--
No knowing 'em! 
No mail--no post--
No news from any foreign coast-- 
No park--no ring--no afternoon gentility-- 
No company--no nobility-- 
No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease, 
No comfortable feel in any member-- 
No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees, 
No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds, 
November!


No comments: