Saturday, December 5, 2015

and then she wrote . . .



As usual, there's good news and bad news.  First, the good:  I'm just fine, according to my wonderful doc and all the tests she ordered for me.  What's supposed to be low is low, what's to be high is high.  I suggested I was "cured" and no longer a diabetic but, alas, she did not agree.  OK, that's the good news.  The really, really bad news is that she is retiring in April.  She has been my medical guardian for more than 15 years.  The last thing I want to think about is telling the whole story all over again to someone else (who will then retire, etc.).  Not only has she been my doc but we have become good friends.  So post-retirement we have planned to see one another ~ she lives in Davis, too ~ and she has told me to feel free to contact her any time for medical reasons.  How great is that?  For Mr. C, good news only.  His cataract surgeries have been a complete success and he can now even see to drive at night!

It's pack-up-and-go time around here. We have one week to get it all done.  The shuttle will come to fetch us at - GASP! - 3:30 AM for a 6 AM flight.  It has several other stops along the way which is why it's so early.  Flight leaves from LAX at 10:15 AM so we'll have plenty of time to schlep bags from one terminal to another and then sit and relax before flying on to Manzanillo.  We should be sitting down for one of Mr. C's marvelous margaritas by around 6 PM.  Chuy will fix our favorite chiles rellenos picadillo to get us in the mood for the next few months.

We've had beautiful weather up here in the valley; cold nights, bright days, a bit of rain with more expected on Sunday.  Lots of snow up at Tahoe, a very good thing indeed.  Erin and I have been walking when we can and most times, Daisy comes along.  Here she is at 4 1/2 months.


She has lost her "foxy" face and is looking like a real Golden Retriever.  Her coat is beginning to curl and wave and lose its downy softness.  She is a very well behaved, smart, curious and friendly creature.  Wow, by the time we get back she'll be at least double in size!

Put this one on your Flix® list:


It has a scene in it you'll want to watch twice; I did.  You'll know it when you see it.

So now it's back to packing, sorting, tossing out.  You'd think by now it would be the work of a moment.  Apparently not.


1 comment:

Liz said...

Buon Viaggio, as we said in Italy, some years ago...

Re your health, and Jim's-- Bravissimo! Don't worry too much re breaking in a new doc. I've had to do it several times, and everything SHOULD be in your med records...

Re packing to go to someplace you've been going to for years: I feel the same way about getting ready to depart for Palm Springs. For me, the packing is easy, courtesy of my list, but it's all the other stuff to leave one's home for 3 months that takes up all the pre-trip time!!!

Happy holidays! Will catch your blog on my tablet while away...