Monday, January 3, 2011

back in the land of the living


But barely. How bad was it? I didn't listen to the opera on Saturday and I didn't go to tianguis this morning. I did manage to get into the shower and wash my hair, finally, and have lunch at the table instead of on a tray in bed. I think by tomorrow or surely by Wednesday I can call this little episode "over."

I did manage to finish one book and get well into another, but even reading was exhausting. Napping is what I did best.

So what do you suppose Mr. C was doing today as I was swanning around the house in the early stages of a dramatic recovery? Squirrel hunting.

These pesky creatures are all over the place, including in the palapa upstairs where they have taken up permanent residence and raise their equally pesky progeny. Fernando left his pellet gun here because when he comes over he thins the herd at every opportunity. I have an absolutely morbid fear of guns so it's all I can do to even look at it. I mean, it's just a pellet gun, for God's sake. Fernando showed Mr. C how to load it, etc., and today he stalked a particularly big and noisy one.  Aim at it, pulled the trigger and the gun went off but actually jammed. But the squirrel dropped to the ground, then took off up another tree. Not to be deterred, the GWH (Great White Hunter) is still on the prowl. If it becomes a war of wits the squirrel is done for.

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

Better get the pot ready for squirrel stew!