Monday, July 1, 2013

an anniversary of sorts





Today is the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, the pivotal battle in the Civil War.  In honor of this I watched "Lincoln," a film I've had here on my table for over a month.  I don't know why I hadn't watched it sooner.  Nevertheless, I have now seen what all the shouting and praise is about.  I want to see it again, too, to study it more closely.  Even though the heart of the story was Lincoln's struggle to pass the 13th Amendment ~ and the wrangling and smoke-filled rooms where the wrangling took place ~ the war was in clear evidence.  I thought the final scene when Lee surrenders to Grant was so moving, so quiet and, yes, wrenching on Lee's part.  Well done, Mr. Spielberg, Mr. Day-Lewis, Ms. Field, Mr. Jones, et al.

Hot up here in the valley, as I'm sure you all know.  107º today.  Same for the next couple of days.  Thank goodness for the pool; it's 82º and perfect.


No comments: