Sunday, December 4, 2011

getting ready


One of the reasons I don't like this "getting ready to go" business is that it reminds me what a poor housekeeper I am for the seven months I am here. We make this grand push to dust, vacuum, rearrange, purge, straighten-up, and I think, "How did everything get so dusty, messy, misfiled since I got home?" I think it's one of those "seven deadlies" that makes it happen. Sloth. Sloth is one of my personal bugaboos. Mr. C is not a sinner in this category. He is up and doing early, urging himself on while I malinger in bed, doing the NYT crossword, sipping coffee, making mental lists, contemplating the day's events. By the time I am up he has dressed, read his internet sources, had coffee, leafed through the daily paper, and is already thinking about what he wants for lunch. For me, there is no keeping up with this insane schedule. But he did comment this evening that we are ahead of schedule for our Thursday departure. The car is more than half packed, the shelves, furniture and floors are dusted and waxed, closets and drawers emptied, bathrooms scrubbed and ready for a bacterial test. There may even be time for a Flix® movie or an out-to-dinner. Or a trip to IKEA® for another package of tea lights.

1 comment:

mary ann said...

tee hee, I like this post and picture you lounging in bed while your beloved scurries around. Husbando has the irritating habit of asking me what I want for dinner while I'm still on my first cup of 7am coffee. Weird, these men...