Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas to All


Dinner at Dago's was a small affair last night; just three of us. But we were joined by one of Neighbor Nelson's "J" sons ~ he has four boys (men?) all of whose names begin with "J" ~ so it made a jolly foursome. My shrimp were, as usual, perfect. I saved half for my "opera salad" today. I set up the speaker system and, first thing this morning, listened to 9 Lessons and Carols from King's College, Cambridge. Absolute heaven! Then followed the Met. Lawrence Brownell, the brilliant tenor singing Tonio, hit all his notes right on! Every time I hear the aria, Ah mes amis I first get astonishment, then chills, then tears. He is a fitting rival to Juan Diego Florez, another bel canto star. When he sang Tonio at the Met some years ago the ovation was so tumultuous that he sang that signature piece a second time just to get the crowd to shut up!

I have just finished cooking my to-die-for carrots for our Christmas Eve dinner party down at Luly and Ed's. Mr. C made his always-a-hit rum pumpkin pie. There will be about 30 for dinner; she's cooking two turkeys so I am taking along a big Ziploc® bag for some leftovers.

I've been listening to all my favorite Christmas music, some traditional tunes, some hymns, some random stuff I have on my iPod. But THIS ONE was my father's very favorite song every year. He used to laugh all the way through it. Enjoy!


2 comments:

mary ann said...

Lovely, happy xmas, Susan and Mr. C!

Anonymous said...

Liz says:

Yes, indeed-- Happy Holidays, Susan & Jim!

I also heard the 9 lessons & carols program on our local classical music station yesterday. Always a treat...

Sounds like you are having a ball!