Sunday, March 6, 2011

the fastest 10 days on record

She came, she had a great time, and she went home. The last thing I remember was putting the flowers in the guest room and taking off for the airport. After that it was all a blur. The plane arrived right on time, we saw her getting off and disappearing into the immigration hall, and then we waited. And waited. And waited. Pretty soon a couple came out and said to me, "Don't worry. She's coming." She was the absolutely last person they let out. Something about a mix-up in documents. But she arrived safe and sound and we piled in the car and took off for a 10-day visit that went by like that! The days included sleeping late, hammock time with books, dominoes, travel, good food, a really fun dinner party Tuesday evening in celebration of Alex's birthday. I stuck a candle in the flan and we all sang a rousing "Happy Birthday!"

Wednesday morning we drove to Tlaquepaque for two nights. Our friend Liz went along with us to our favorite B &  B, Casa de las Flores. Thursday morning the three ladies took a cab out to Tonala for the huge market. We said good-bye to Mr. C, who is not much of a shopper under the best of circumstances and definitely not one in Tonala. Up one side and down the other, up one street on both sides, through the central jardin, then back into a cab with our various and sundry purchases back to Tlaquepaque.

Alex, meanwhile, hunted down the oilcloth lode and came back with 6 or 7 big pieces to take home. She is the Oilcloth Queen of Snowden Avenue. We all took a nice siesta, then went down to the patio for a pre-comida margarita in preparation for a lovely dinner at the Rio San Pedro as guests of Liz.

Delicious food, delightful setting, a waiter to bring home to meet the folks! After dinner we strolled home; Alex and I poked around in some great shops while the old folks went on home.

Friday morning we drove back to Cuyutl√°n, stopping in Guadalajara for a run through CostCo and Mega for some hard-to-find-items. Back here by 3, in time for a speedy game of dominoes before dinner on the beach, this time at Lila's puesto. In fact, Alex didn't get to Dago's at all this year. Saturday Marie had one of her famous martini parties with about 15 women, nibbling on goodies and tossing back a martini or two. Great fun, and Alex got to see several people she had not yet run into on this trip. I also missed the opera; no internet. When we got home, Chuy's fabulous chiles picadillo were awaiting us for dinner. They are absolutely the best.

Sunday morning, big glasses of OJ, a domino game, more reading, more hammock time. Sunday evening, tacos de lengue, her favorite.

Monday off to tiagues with a post-shopping stop at the Jacaranda for bean tacos and beer. This little indulgence has become a ritual for Marie and me; we go together at the beginning of the season, take our visiting daughters, then one more feast on the last Monday of our stay. One stop on the way home, at the ferreteria Verdusco to check out their oilcloth. Two more pieces added to the pile. More dominoes in the afternoon. Then it was time for Alex to pack up to leave on Tuesday afternoon. We drove to Manzanillo airport for her 4:30 flight. And suddenly she was gone. But she left me with this beautiful glass heart as a memento and gift.

I'm going to ask Fernando to get me some fishing line from his vast store so I can hang it in the window in our bedroom. These glass hearts are now all the rage in the Tlaquepaque shops; it's something new every year.

Today is one of the prettiest days we have had all season. It is warm, slight breeze, clear sky which means we can see the sparkling sea in front and the green mountains in the back. I went over to Jack's (actually Fernando's) this morning for a swim; perfect. Liz invited us to join her at Fernando's puesto for lunch. There were lots of people on the beach today. No wonder with such perfect weather. Tonight we might get tacitos, although I can't imagine eating anything more.


mary ann said...

What a splendid time you guys had!

Anonymous said...

What is the oilcloth used for?